Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Audition Day!

My day started with me getting up at 3:45am. We got in line at about 5am. The line was the most entertaining part of my day. People watching is quite fun for me. It was still nice and cool outside and I met a really nice man named Alan, an Arena employee. He was from Austrailia and totally hillarious.
So camera crews from different news stations and different tv shows were there. Justin Guarini or whatever his name is was there representing the TV Guide channel. Girls were screaming for him and squeeling, which as you can probably imagine, didn't annoy me whatsoever at 5am. Ha!
Marshall's sister called over to him to get a picture with him, so I snapped that picture. Then this girl in a quite----- um, interesting outfit hunted Justin down. She pretty much made him give her a TV interview. He asked her to sing Amazing Grace, and in her very valley girl tone and dialect said, "Um, I don't know that song." Blah, blah. Anyway, this interview was right next to me and at one point I noticed that the camera wasn't even filming. So I don't know if she will get what she wanted out of that process!
At about 8am, we start piling into the arena. We then find our seats and at that point the Fox workers have the crowd singing, Get Ready by The Temptations. We were all yelling, singing and screaming. This went on for about an hour. Then they finally busted out the audition tables and told us the rules. ....
4 people went up at a time to a judges table. 1 person at a time would step up, sing your song until you were given the hand to stop singing. Then the next one would go. After everyone was done, everyone stepped forward and they either said yes or no. If you were told no, you got your wristband snipped and out you went. If you got a yes, you had to go to a different area and spend about an hour or more being filmed and filling out paperwork.
So at about 1:30, Marshall and I got down to the floor, and at about 1:45 or so, stepped up in our line of 4 and auditioned.
I was really torn between singing Beautiful Disaster and At Last. So, when I stepped forward, out came Beautiful Disaster. I feel I did very well. I wasn't even nervous at all, (since you all know how much I wanted to be there anyway.) At this point, I was starving, had to pee and wanted out of that arena. While I was singing, the judge wouldn't look at me. In fact, she never looked at anyone while they were singing. So she called us all up to the table, told us "Thank you for coming. It's great that all of you were here. We couldn't do the show without you and you had some pretty solid performances. But we are looking for stronger singers this year for season 8. Have a good day."
So, as we walked out, (feeling completely relieved), Marshall starts screaming, "I'm free! Whoooooooo! As you can imagine, I was just loving being seen with him during his stupid moments. Well as we walk out, we get a camera slammed in our face asking us what we thought about auditions. Marshall continues on screaming in his obnoxious way, talking about how he needs to pee etc. Meanwhile, I'm shaking my head, completely embarrassed by him and saying something like, I really hope I don't get stuck on TV with him. The auditions were fun, its a long day and I'm ready to go home. We then had to hike up 8 flights of stairs to get out. lol.
So that is the end of the American Idol journey. I would never want to do it again. But it definitely is an experience, that's for sure!
Now I have to survive another 10 hour drive stuck in a car with Marshall. Pray I make it home safe.

3 comments:

Patsfield Family Photos said...

I'm sorry that it didn't work out & especially sorry your stuck with Marshall. hahaha! I'm just so proud that you went and did it! You go Girl!

Crystyne said...

I too am sorry that you did not make it on the show. I hope Marshalls comments don't make it on TV! How embarassing. See you when you get back.

DeAnne said...

Aww nuts! Well, chalk it up to experience right? Hope you get home safe :)