Friday, September 9, 2011

Happiness is a by-product of an effort to make someone else happy. ~Gretta Brooker Palmer

I have been thinking about "happiness" lately. Happiness is different for every person. For some it's sourced from their family, friends, God, religion, success, job etc. Everyone's perception of happiness is different too. For example, I don't source happiness from a job, or my car or success. Having those things make me happy, but I don't source my sense of happiness and who I am from these things.

You see, things add to my happiness but aren't what I live for and why I want to wake up every day. When I'm feeling down and out, my family and friends and faith and prayers keep me going. I always remind myself that even though things suck at the moment, it ALWAYS works out. One thing I have learned is to be grateful for my trials. I do believe that we will never be given something we can't handle. I've survived some pretty terrible things in my life. I have felt lower than low and almost got in my car and drove away from everyone I knew. I used to scratch my arms to the point of almost causing them to bleed! I was told I was doing what cutters do but without cutting myself. I was manifesting physically, what I felt emotionally. I will never forget those feelings. Most of these things were triggered by inner struggle and the fear of choosing what I needed to do for me, and NOT worrying about everyone else.

It took me 4, VERY long, grueling months of counseling. Endless tears, anger, reliving things I had suppressed for years. I knew I had to face the ugly. I was ready. And you know what, it wasn't easy but so completely worth it.

I feel alive again. I am happy, to the core. It doesn't mean life doesn't suck and I don't have bad days. But in the end, take away everything I have and as long as I have my family, friends and the ability to pray, I'll be okay! And I'll be happy.

I feel terribly sad for those out there who cannot source happiness from within, from their faith and relationship with God or have something at the center of the heart and mind that offers up genuine happiness.

I feel that happiness closely correlates with gratitude. Those who aren't grateful seem to be the most miserable people I've met in my personal experience. People want to have bigger and better "things" and go into great amounts of debt for them. People want to be skinnier, prettier, more popular, rich and/or famous. Some think another human being in their life will fulfill them and make them happy, or having a child or a yacht. It's simply an unhealthy outlook to not be grateful for what is given to us, to continually want more than we have and to forget to acknowledge God in our lives.

I read in my Psych 100 class that the best cure for depression is service. Is this not a principle that the Savior himself lived? Forget about yourself, take time daily to list the blessings and gifts granted to us. And in those really dark moments, and believe me I've had some, sometimes the only thing you might be able to be grateful for is the fact you're breathing. But it's another day to better ourselves, educate ourselves, help each other out and LIVE!

This topic is on my mind with significant amounts of my brain being sucked up in thought about this because I have a sibling that suffers greatly from lack of happiness. As much as I get angry about it, at the end of the day, it's really that I'm very sad for this person and wish I could make it better. Sometimes, all we can do is pray for others.

I can't imagine waking up each day and feeling unhappy. I am grateful that is not a burden I have to carry.

Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy. ~Robert Anthony

Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it. ~Fyodor Dostoevsky

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost. ~H. Jackson Browne

Indeed, man wishes to be happy even when he so lives as to make happiness impossible. ~St. Augustine

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour. ~Author Unknown

He is rich or poor according to what he is, not according to what he has. ~Henry Ward Beecher

2 comments:

Crystyne said...

Well said and all so very very true. It is sad to see people who have the most important things in this life and they can't seem to be grateful for those things.

Britany Michelle said...

Its awful. I don't have a husband, or any kids and those are two things I've always wanted. But ill be danged if I'm gonna be a miserable human being. Plus, I have all my nephews and nieces to keep me happy....